Fernandez, De Lera, Valverde and Almirall four user experience writers at the Universitat Oberta de Catalunya in Spain provided me with a small but highly relevant insight into the way we need to be thinking about designing for interaction. They talk about the fact that other sectors that use technology such as gaming and entertainment design for emotion but that sometimes the education sector or e-learning neglects this area. They also indicate some best practice for affective design:
- Apply the notion to all area of design
- Intro interfaces that are based on natural movement and expression
- Focus on senses
- Incorporate play
- Incorporate the internet into objects
- Clearly articulate values such as ‘collaboration
- Use an interdisciplinary approach
- Innovate – artificial intelligence might change they way we respond to computers
- Collect as use affective data by creating surveys and providing visual data – continuously improve the ways that you gather data
Fernandez, C., de Lera, E., Valverde, L., Almirall, M. & Villarejo, L. (2010). Changing the way we think: fromHCI to HCR (Human Computer Relations). In Proceedings of World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia and Telecommunications 2010 (pp. 542-545). Chesapeake, VA: AACE.
Retrieved from http://www.editlib.org/p/34690.