It’s an exciting time to be teaching. Better understand the possibilities of using social media in your learning environment.
Use of social media by teachers:
Department staff can now access policy and guidelines that set out how they should use social media for professional and personal use. Whilst the Social media & technology guide for staff on the intranet outlines the department’s policy and guidelines for staff engaging in conversations on social media networks, teachers can also gain practical teaching strategies and resources to support their own and their students’ learning by attending the courses now on offer through MacICT such as:
Managing Online Learning (Course code:151NSR070):
The newly designed Managing Online Learning hands-on workshop is designed for teachers, both experienced and newcomers to online learning. During the workshop participants will explore digital citizenship and literacy and the implications for teaching and learning in an online environment. Practical examples and tools such as Edmodo will be used to demonstrate how to get the most out of your students in a positive and safe online learning environment.
Creative Commons and Copyright (Course code:151NSR068):
The Department’s guidelines stress that department staff need to be “original, respect copyright and acknowledge” sources of information. This hands-on workshop is designed to help teachers to meet their responsibilities with copyright and modelling the appropriate skills with students. It provides participants with both resources and strategies for teaching copyright and the use of Creative Commons materials. As part of this course teachers will compile their own list of online resources that can be used by their students for the production and publishing of work. Issues such as the ownership of digital content and the implications of students working in groups will be discussed on the day.
Book now on MyPL@DET for courses @MacICT in the next fortnight of Term 2:
- 10/5 – Creating Resources in Moodle (151NSR007)
- 10/5 – 2011 Robotics (Bee-Bots) Project INFORMATION VC (DV00379
- 10/5 – Collaboration Online VC (DV00924) @3:30pm
- 12/5 – Blogs in the Classroom (151NSR024)
- 12/5 – Robotics (Probots) in the Classroom (151NSR075)
- 12/5 – Game Design Using Kahootz (151NSR036)
- 11/5 – Collaboration Online VC (DV00924) @3:30pm
- 16/5 – Managing Online Learning (151NSR070)
- 17/5 – Critical Reflection Using Online Tools VC (DV00926) @3:30pm
- 18/5 – Introduction to LAMS (151NSR010)
- 19/5 – Critical Reflection Using Online Tools VC (DV00926) @3:30pm
- 20/5 – Robotics (Bee-Bots)in the Classroom (151NSR075)
All enquiries please contact Karen Blackwell on 9850 4320 or Karen.firstname.lastname@example.org