Spotlight #13: Science with MacICT
We are very excited to be launching a new blog called Crowd as part of the MacICT group. This blog is designed to help teachers and students get involved in projects that interest them. It provides resources for project based learning and student challenges as well as providing a space to share student work samples. If you would like to share student work or start a science project using Crowd then please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a login. We also have a number of project to get you started.
This online challenge asks students to find interesting or controversial experiment videos, replicate these experiments and create and share media of their findings. There are two ways that you can join this project:
- Online – simply request a login and complete the Fact Hacker challenge
- Workshop – students come to the Centre, located at Macquarie University, and work with academics and experts to complete the Fact Hacker challenge (cost $10 per student).
Email Concetta.gotlieb at det.nsw.edu.au to get started right away.
VC MiniFest – Science
During Week 2 of Term 3 VC MiniFest will provide schools with a platform for sharing ideas across the DEC network. The VC MiniFest asks science students to make a 7-10minute presentation via the Connected Classroom. This is an informal learning exchange to allow students and teachers to learn more about using the video conferencing equipment, presenting using SMART Notebook and communicating effectively. Please email your subject, year group, idea and a preferred date and time to Concetta.email@example.com.
VC with Macquarie University Academics
Macquarie University has hosted a number of video conferences with visiting and local academics. We are currently planning our VC register for the next semester. If you would like to be part of science VCs over the coming months subscribe to this blog to keep up-to-date with the latest. Now is a good time to get involved in the planning for these VCs so please email concetta.gotlieb at det.nsw.edu.au to suggest a topic or volunteer your students to lead a conference. The first conference, Nano-Technology, is planned for Term 3, Week 3, please email if you are interested.
Book now on MyPL@DET for courses @ MacICT in the next few weeks:
- 16/6 – Managing Online Learning (151NSR070)
- 21/6 – Wikis in the Classroom (151NSR031)
- 23/6 – Creating Resources in Moodle (151NSR007)
- 23/6 – Robotics (Lego NXTs) in the Classroom (151NSR075)
- 30/6 – Good Game Design (151NSR072)
- Australian-led research in nanotechnology a huge breakthrough (usyd.edu.au)
- How cool is your school? It’s all in the design. (web2.macquarieict.schools.nsw.edu.au)